A building permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure. This includes, but is not limited to accessory buildings, signs, pools, towers, manufactured homes, industrialized buildings (DCA), curb cuts (site work/paving), foundations, slabs, driveways, patios and walkways.
A permit is also required to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, which is regulated by the Construction Codes.
Work valued at $1,000 or less that does not require an inspection shall not require a permit.
Please contact our office at 478-552-2626 to verify what type of permit will be required and to verify if your work meets any exceptions to this requirement.
Residential and commercial certified builders are required to purchase building permits and request the building inspections. Sub-contractors (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and fire sprinkler) must purchase their permits and request their own inspections.
Individuals acting as their own building contractor may purchase their own residential building permit, provided they are the owner, completing construction themselves, and are going to occupy the home upon completion. Those individuals may also purchase the sub permits (plumbing, electrical, mechanical) with the same restrictions.
For conisderation, all applications must meet Planning and Zoning requirements:
- Plat or plans in duplicate, drawn to scale, showing actual dimensions of lot and correct street address.
- Size and dimensions of building to be erected.
- Location of building on lot, distance from sides of lot as well as distances from front and rear lot lines.
- Number of dwelling units building is designed to accommodate.
- Setback line of building (s) on adjacent lots.
- Evidence that lot is owned by applicant or has a documented legal interest in the property.
- Permit application fee paid according to evaluation of construction cost. (To be approved by the Building Official.)
- Such other information as may be required by the Building Official.
- Any building permit will become void if work involved has not commenced within six (^) months after issuance.
Download the Building Permit Application
There is a $25 Permit Issuing Fee for all projects plus applicable fees based on total construction costs. Valuation tables furnished by The International Code Council shall be used to determine construction costs.
New Residential construction the total permit fees shall be one percent of the construction cost plus the issuing fee.
Additions, Alterations and Conversions the total permit fee shall be one percent of the construction cost plus the issuing fee.
New Non Residential construction the total permit fee shall be one percent of construction cost plus the issuing fee
Demolition and Razing of Buildings: $25 issuing fee.
All new construction shall require plan review; Plan review fees shall be 20 percent of the permit fee. Residential review fees shall be rebated when permit application is made.
Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical, work on jobs that do not have a building permit, the permit fee shall be one percent of the cost of the work plus the issuing fee.
For more information call 478-552-2626